Category Archives: Legal Forms

Letting Illegitimate Child Use Father’s Surname- RA 9255

Children born out of wedlock, also known as illegitimate children, may use the surname of the father under Republic Act No. 9255.

All you need is to file the necessary application with the civil registry of the place where your child was born along with the following documents:

  1. Certified true copy of child’s birth certificate (most require NSO certificates)
  2. Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (see attached form)
  3. Valid IDs of parents or the registrant if 18 years or older.
  4. For certificates of live birth with unknown fathers, submit additional documents such as the affidavit of acknowledgment/paternity and documents showing father’s signature like SSS, GSIS Policy Contract, ITR, PhilHealth and other proof of filiation.
  5. Note: In some cities/municipalities, the local civil registrar may require the personal appearance of the mother and father to confirm their identities.

Processing time can vary but will usually take a week.  Estimated cost Php1,000.00.


Form for Establishing a Visitation Schedule

Get free legal form for visitation schedule here.

When spouses separate, the non-custodial parent often has to put up with the whims of the custodial parent (or the one with whom the child or children reside) when it comes to seeing their common children.

Strained communications can make visitation especially painful for the seeking parent and the children who are caught in the middle of the warring parents.  Issues like marital infidelity and support often get in the way of visitation when one parent uses the children to punish the other for a marital issue.

This is why having a formal written visitation agreement is important not only Continue reading

How to File a Small Claim in Court

Most people decide not to sue a debtor when the amount involved seems relatively small because of the known hassles and expenses of filing cases in court.  With litigation expenses and time wasted in court, forgetting a debt seemed to be a practical solution instead, until recently, when the Supreme Court issued the Small Claims Rule. Continue reading

Termination of Employment

A weak economy sees the emergence of more small and medium enterprises and the closure or re-engineering of large companies. To stay afloat, a business establishment usually resorts to cutting costs, including that of manpower.
Termination of employment by retrenchment is usually to prevent serious business losses. Existing labor laws require the employer to give a 30-day notice to the employee regarding management’s decision to terminate the employment and to submit an Employment Retrenchment Report to the Department of Labor and Employment at least 30 days prior to the intended date of termination.  Click here for a template of this report.
Upon the expiry of the 30-day notice, the employer then becomes liable to pay the terminated employee his separation pay, computed at a minimum of a half-month’s salary for every year of service. Those employed for less than a year with the company shall be entitled to the equivalent of one month’s salary.