About the Author

Atty. Christine Florido is a legal professional who was admitted to the Philippine Bar in 1994.

Atty. Christine Florido

M. Christine Florido, BSLM, J.D.

She is a graduate of Ateneo de Manila University (B.S. Legal Management, Honorable Mention & Departmental Awardee for Legal Management Batch 1989) and of Ateneo de Manila- College of Law (Juris Doctor, Second Honors/Silver Medal, Batch 1993)

In 1996, she completed the Program of Instruction for Lawyers at Harvard Law School, U.S.A. and the Private International Law Session at the Academy of International Law at the Hague (Den Haag) in Netherlands.

Work experience: Government (Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas[1995], National Development Company[2000], Movies, Television, Ratings and Classification Board [2000]); Private (Primetown Property Group, Inc., Evoserve, Inc, Textron Corp.,Spectrum,S.E.) The author’s current interests are in ICT, Labor and Family law.

Personal note from the author:

I prepared for the bar exams in 1993.  This was a time of daily 8-hour brownouts and foremost on my mind was passing the bar (or better yet, landing in the top 10).   My review routine was well-rounded and included weekly prayers (novenas) to the Blessed Virgin in Baclaran Church.  I lit as much candles as I could afford and prayed fervently for divine intervention; in exchange for Our Lady’s intercession, I promised to render free legal service/advice at least once a year.

So, here I am.

Details of my professional experience were far from Family Law as I worked at government corporations, private companies and served corporate clients.  But personal challenges make the best teachers as I dealt with my own family issues that touched on nullity of marriages, child support, custody, and visitation in court— occasions where I experienced the laws in motion not as a lawyer, but as a party to a case.

Labor law happened to me by chance.  In my early years as a lawyer, I reluctantly handled a case for illegal dismissal where I was told to expect a pro-labor decision at the arbiter level– I was the legal counsel of the company that dismissed some employees.  Undaunted by the warnings of older lawyers, I prepared for my case and won at the first try.  Years later, a company with over a hundred employees handed me the reins of the HR department after its HR manager fell from grace.  And I immediately understood why– crucial HR decisions carry legal consequences that are properly within a lawyer’s expertise.

As Vice President for Human Resources,  it was not enough to know the law.  I learned to empathize and appreciate the human dimension of business.  Be kind yet firm. Do your best and God will do the rest.

Signed, Christine Florido


13 thoughts on “About the Author

  1. ralph

    Hi Tin! i didnt know that you have a website. 🙂 until i was googling about HR related applicable laws. Anyways, can you help me out? Is it legal for a manager to hold the clearance of an employee or rather can a manager not sign her employee’s clearance from work just because the employee returned some docs directly to HR? Meaning her authority was bypassed daw? 🙂 thanks. Ralph

    1. CFlorido Post author

      Hi, Ralph.
      Thanks for dropping a line here.

      In the question you posed, the general rule is that an exiting employee should turn over company property, including documents, to the proper officer, as instructed by the immediate superior or under existing company policy. In order to determine the proper way to turn over documents, the employee should have checked with the immediate superior or with the employee’s handbook or manual. Assuming that the exiting employee did not observe proper turnover procedure, the remedy is to retrieve the turned over documents and submit it to the proper officer. If this is not possible, then a simple letter apologizing for the misunderstanding should be able to get the clearance signed. 🙂

      But assuming, that the exiting employee has complied with the other requirements for obtaining the clearance, the mere mistake in turn over should not be used to unreasonably withhold signing of the clearance as it can lead to non-payment of wages. I hope that this helps.

  2. Ben

    Hi Atty. Christine,

    Hope you can help me out. I’ve been trying to look on the labor code and on numerous website about policies regarding deductions on tardiness. So far I haven’t seen anything clear regarding this topic. I just want to know if its legal that my company is deducting 10 pesos per minute the employee is late beyond the 15-minute grace period.

    I believe 10pesos/minute is too much not unless the employee is earning around 5,000/day. But we’re only earning around 15-20k per month. I was just thinking, what if I was caught in a heavy traffic and was late by an hour, less the grace period, that’s already a 450 peso deduction. I really hope you can shed light to me on this one.


    1. Atty. Post author

      Ben: The employer may make deductions only in limited instances and that includes deductions for undertime or absences in excess of the leave credits under the principle of “no work, no pay”. But the deduction for undertime should be proportionate to the period of time that the employee has not worked, otherwise, the deduction may not be allowed. You may raise this question at the Department of Labor office nearest your place of work and the officer on duty can offer suggestions or even send a letter to your employer to clarify the situation. I hope this helps.

  3. jackie

    Atty. Tin, You are a great blessing to me after i read your advice about an ofw unwed mother same as my case…i was saddened when i consulted one lawyer about my case because the lawyer told me that automatically my son will be brought to his father’s custody when i will go back abroad for my employment…but after reading your website it made me strong to fight for the custody of my son even if im abroad..i left a special power of attorney for my mother to take care of my child. i am not married to the father of my child, he is unemployed, dependent to his family, he always drinks liquor and fond of his peers, but still fighting against me and my mother for the custody of my son…i am presently working abroad as nurse…atty thank you thank you so much!

  4. Light's mom

    Hello. I just wanted to drop a note to thank you for this website and the well written posts. They are all very helpful and the way you answer questions is clear and easy to understand. More power!

  5. Frustrated employee

    Hi Atty.,

    I resigned from my job and have already completed the required 30 days notice. I am now waiting for my clearance but was shocked to learn that they wouldn’t sign it because there are still some pending work that they want me to finish. I turned over all of my responsibilities during those 30 last days and they did not inform me of their concerns before I left. I only knew about it when I CALLED THEM to follow up the status of my clearance. Also, is it proper for your subordinate to sign your clearance before it would be approved by your superior?


    1. Atty. Post author

      Frustrated employee: You may file a complaint with the Single Entry Approach (SENA) desk at the Department of Labor office nearest your former employer’s office. They may raise the issue that you have not been fully cleared but you can also explain how you followed the process and have no financial liabilities or have turned over everything including company properties in your possession.

  6. kim

    Hi Atty Cristine,

    just wanted to ask for your opinion regarding my situation.
    There is a baby given to us by a midwife, and with the midwife’s help the birth certificate was simulated and its been two years now since still we haven’t heard anything from the parents of the child. Is there any ways we can correct this situation?I know adoption might be impossible and we just open ourselves to a crime of simulating a birth certificate. You think there will be a legal way that we can sort out the mess we have done?We love the baby so much and treated him as our own but we are scared that someday somebody might just take him away from us because we haven’t done everything legally..Can you help please?thank you very much and more power.

    1. Atty. Post author

      Kim: Reply sent via email. Pls check your inbox.

  7. Rodel

    Dear madam,
    I would like to ask some questions. I’m married with two sons and my parents is in United States, they file a family petition for us. But now me and my wife is struggling with our marriage and decided to separate. We’re not yet annulled, is it possible for me and my kids to go to United States with out their mother? Thank you

    1. Atty. Post author

      Rodel: Your children may travel abroad with you even without their mother’s consent but you may need her consent or a sole custody court order for them to reside abroad with you.

Comments are closed.