Instructional Video on How to File A Small Claim in the Philippines

Anyone who has a claim against another  in a total amount not exceeding Php100,000 can file a claim easily and inexpensively in the Small Claims Court in the Philippines.

You won’t need a lawyer to represent you in the hearing and the filing fee is minimal.   The Clerk of Court will guide you in filling up the small claims form and hearing lasts only a day.Watch this video and learn how to do this. You must have people or friends owing you sums of money as friendly loans and who may conveniently just forgot about them.

Times are hard and every single centavo counts when you are talking about surviving day-to-day costs of living.    Consider filing a small claim against the person who has not paid you back.

Don’t lose hope!      Watch this video  and learn.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

7 thoughts on “Instructional Video on How to File A Small Claim in the Philippines

  1. Emilio M******

    How long for a decision to be reached. Is there a huge backlog of cases?

    1. Atty. Post author

      Emilio: Only after one hearing unless the parties reach a compromise or settle amicably, then no hearing will take place. The Clerk of Court where you are going to file the case can give you an idea about the timetable.

  2. Jenny

    Hi Attorney,

    Paano po gagawin ko kung yung may utang sa akin eh wala na sa address na binigay niya and nagresign na rin siya sa office, nagchange na ng numbers, blocked na ang Facebook, at hinding hindi nagrereply sa e-mail. I have all of the documentations as a proof na may utang po siya and nangangakong magbayad. May way po ba ang magseserve ng summons na malaman kung saan ang bagong kinaroroonan ng defendant? Another thing po attorney is sabi nila, hinding hindi raw ako pwedeng magfile ng small claims case kung wala akong Certificate to file Action from the Barangay. Is this true po?

    By the way, thank you for sharing this video, it truly is informative and helpful. I’m looking forward to your response regarding my inquiries. Thank you in advance.

    1. Atty. Post author

      Jenny: I assume that you already sent a demand letter to your debtor which is why you are able to say that he/she is nowhere to be found. You may still file a claim and the court will order the service of summons through publication in a newspaper of general circulation for as long as the court will direct in its order. You may need to bring your complaint first at the barangay level if you and the debtor are residents of the same city or municipality. If your debtor’s last known address is in the same city or municipality where you are residing, then for purposes of compliance, just file a complaint at the barangay level and obtain the certification which is required in the small claims court. It may be a technicality but it’s important for your case to continue at the small claims court. When filing the form for your small claims in court, don’t forget to mention that the defendant (the person you are suing) can no longer be found and his/her whereabouts are unknown. Mention as well that you have exerted all efforts to locate and contact the person but your efforts were fruitless. I hope this helps.

  3. Jenny

    Thank you so much Attorney for the speedy response. This truly is very helpful. This is the answer that I have been looking for. I just wanted to ensure as I don’t want to rely on the information that various people from different offices may advise me. I understand that ignorance will never be an excuse thus I am doing my research prior to actually putting my plans into actions. I am looking forward to reading some of your posts here. It’s good to be always informed.

    Thank you so much again for taking the time to answer my queries. God bless!

  4. bel

    Dear Atty.,

    What if the plaintiff & defendant does not belong to the same barangay? Whose barangay should the complaint be filed? Thank you so much for your help

    1. Atty. Post author

      Bel: either in the place where the plaintiff or where the defendant resides– any of the two.

Comments are closed.